Haunter's Nation

• December 13, 2017, 09:06:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light Balance Dance Troop  (Read 275 times)

kid

• Master of Scaremonies
  • Administrator
  • Haunter
    • Haunters Nation
Light Balance Dance Troop
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »

We've seen clothes with embedded led lighting before. This is at a WHOLE new level. Hey Pod...can you whip me up a suit real quick?

Maley

• The Pumpkin Witch
  • Global Moderator
  • Haunter
  • Wickedest Witch in the West
Re: Light Balance Dance Troop
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »

Me too, me too!
I'm every nightmare you've ever had. I'm your worst dream come true. I'm everything you ever were afraid of.

kid

• Master of Scaremonies
  • Administrator
  • Haunter
    • Haunters Nation
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »

EL wire is pretty cool stuff, and fairly cheap. It is very flexible, and can be glued, taped, or sewn into different fabrics. This is a cheap string I picked up on eBay for a few bucks.

The Pod

• Blaberus craniifer
  • HN Instructor
  • Haunter
    • http://scary.sytes.net
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »

Just be careful.  EL wire is AC. That little battery pack with the two AA batteries is actually an inverter.  Got zapped pretty good when I first started playing with EL.

My original plan was to build a harp and have the strings be EL wires that would lite up like the harp was being played.  Thought about making the strings of my skeleton band guitar with EL.  Over all, I've picked up a bunch of those EL wire kits off Ebay for $1 a piece, so I have a bunch of different colors plus the AA battery packs and the 12 VDC inverters.

kid

• Master of Scaremonies
  • Administrator
  • Haunter
    • Haunters Nation
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »

I'm assuming you could run triggers to the battery box, and use the built in inverter to power the lights once triggered?

The Pod

• Blaberus craniifer
  • HN Instructor
  • Haunter
    • http://scary.sytes.net
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »

I'm assuming you could run triggers to the battery box, and use the built in inverter to power the lights once triggered?
Yes you could or use a relay on the cable itself.  Splicing some of the thinner EL wires is tricky but take your time and it can be done.  They sell splice kits but I've just been using shrink wrap tubing.  The battery pack has three different modes on it (solid on, slow blink & fast blink) where the 12 volt DC inverter only has the solid on (although you could use a prop controller with the 12 volt to create a blinking effect)  At Transworld we saw EL wire the size of 1/4" dia and they were making Neon Signs with them and looked really cool (Scary bought the "Eat Drink and be Scary" one).  I haven't found a source for this thick EL wire yet (due to health issues I haven't had much chance to do much of anything).

kid

• Master of Scaremonies
  • Administrator
  • Haunter
    • Haunters Nation
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »

I got a response from a vendor that had the thick EL wire at TransWorld. He had it in solid colors, and RGB is "in the works". It was extremely expensive. I may try the silicone calk trick we spoke about with my thin stuff and see how it looks. :dontknow:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

Halloween Ring of Terror
© WebRing Inc.
Halloween Ring of Terror
<< Prev | Hub | Sites | Join | Rate | Next >>